Monday, February 25, 2008

Speaking vs Hearing

I hate to admit it but I find myself getting a bit impatient at times when older people don't hear what I've said. There is no doubt many seniors have hearing difficulties that preclude effective listening. As I remind myself that I too may one day rely on the patience of others, here are some suggestions from The Hearing and Speech Center in Maryland on ways to communicate more effectively with people affected by hearing loss.
  • Keep a distance of three to six feet from the person with whom you are communicating.
  • Face the person in adequate light so the listener can see and hear the speaker.
  • Do not speak loudly or overarticulate.
  • Speak at a normal or bit slower rate of delivery
  • Be prepared to restate not repeat information.
For more strategies on effective communication, go to www.hearingcenter.com.

No comments: