Thursday, March 27, 2008

It's Hard to Find Good Help

Add to Technorati Favorites

As the months go by, I am encouraged by professionals and organizations sprouting up across the country and taking an active interest in our aging society.

When I left my 9 to 5 job several years ago, I intended to run my business and act as a care coordinator for the elderly. As a long distance caregiver myself, I knew the challenges of finding dependable, honest and knowledgeable help. What I discovered was that everyone thought of me as a social worker and most of the services I provided went unpaid. Geriatric case managers have increased in numbers since then (at approximately $75 to $250 an hour, depending on the location). Many organizations are available for online information as well. But the affordable care coordinator still remains illusive to the majority of families who desperately need the services.

My advice to those searching for affordable care and in home service is to ASK FOR and CHECK REFERENCES. Even if the person or business is just starting out in eldercare, check references from a previous employer, minister or neighbor. Someone must know them well enough to say they are honest and dependable. If not, DO NOT HIRE THEM!
It is sad to say, but too many people take advantage of our elderly or abuse them in physical ways which never get reported until much later. Check on your loved one frequently and if you are unable to do it yourself, ask someone you trust to check on them for you. If you belong to organizations or church groups, ask people you know for referrals. It's one of the best ways to do business and get the best care for your loved one.

Coming Soon: Family & Friends of the Aging Online Support Group. We'll have members from across the country, referrals in all areas and the support you need! Stay tuned!!

No comments: