Friday, March 14, 2008

Taking a Break From Caregiving

Add to Technorati Favorites

Taking a break from caregiving can be a double edged sword, so to speak. In my case, I am at a mountain retreat awaiting the arrival of my children and grandchildren. My oldest grandson is on spring break next week, so the vacation has been scheduled around that time. My son and his wife also have a 3 month old daughter I can't wait to get my hands on! My daughter and granddaughter will arrive later in the week as she is a teacher and their school is not on spring break yet. But we will all be together, enjoying a wonderful time...while great grandma is at home.

While I am physically taking a break from caregiving, my mind is trying to catch up and take a break as well. Yet, my mother is on my mind even though I know she has responsible people nearby and I talk with her daily. I had a few moments before I left where I felt I should take her with me, but several things were against that. The location for one, sleeping arrangements, two, and I needed a break, three.

I'm looking forward to the week ahead and once everyone arrives, surely my mind will store all the joys and happiness in place of the worries about my mother. And throughout the week, when I checkin with her, I can report on the games we're playing, the places we've been, and the smiles on my tiny granddaughter's face. And I'll be sure she knows how much I love her.

More later!

No comments: